The ULI Global Awards for Excellence program is a timely reminder of the key difference that responsible land use can make in terms of community longevity and sustainability.
—Patrick L. Phillips, ULI Global CEO
A guiding principle of the Urban Land Institute is that the achievement of excellence in land use practice should be recognized and rewarded. Since 1979, ULI has honored outstanding development projects in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors with the ULI Global Awards for Excellence program, which today is widely recognized as the development community’s most prestigious awards program.
About the Awards
ULI Awards for Excellence recognize the full development process of a project, not just its architecture or design—although these elements play an important role in the overall project. Each award is presented to the development project. Nominations are open to all, not just ULI members. Juries of ULI full members, chaired by trustees, choose finalists and winners. The broad geographic diversity of jury members represent many fields of real estate development expertise, including finance, land planning, development, public affairs, design, and other professional services.
ULI began the Awards for Excellence program in 1979 with the objective of recognizing truly superior development efforts. The criteria for the awards include factors that go beyond good design, including leadership, contribution to the community, innovations, public/private partnership, environmental protection and enhancement, response to societal needs, and financial success. Winning projects represent the highest standards of achievement in the development industry—standards that ULI members deem worthy of attainment in their professional endeavors. All types of projects have been recognized for their excellence, including office, residential, recreational, urban/mixed use, industrial/office park, commercial/retail, new community, rehabilitation, public, and heritage projects, as well as programs and projects that do not fit into any of these product categories. Since 2012, the ULI Global Awards for Excellence have honored development projects from around the globe in a single competition, rather than separate winners by region.
The international competition is overseen by a jury composed of ULI members from around the world who are recognized leaders in their fields. Each winner receives a jewel-quality cube trophy, engraved with the jury’s official statement about the winning project. Further recognition of winners and finalists includes case studies in ULI publications, as well as press releases and announcements in Urban Land magazine and on the Institute’s website.
2017–2018 Global Awards for Excellence Winners
Thirteen real estate development projects from around the globe—eight from the United States, two from Canada, one in Europe, and two from Asia— have been selected as winners in the 2017–2018 ULI Global Awards for Excellence:
- Azkuna Zentroa, Bilbao, Bizkaia, Basque Country, Spain
- Buffalo Bayou Park, Houston, Texas, United States
- Chicago Riverwalk, Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Downtown Allentown Revitalization District, Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
- Emeryville Center of Community Life, Emeryville, California, United States
- Half Moon Village, Half Moon Bay, California, United States
- Kashiwa-no-ha Smart City, Kashiwa City, Chiba Prefecture, Japan
- Marine Gateway, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Milwaukee RiverWalk, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
- Oasia Hotel Downtown, Singapore, Singapore
- Pearl, San Antonio, Texas, United States
- University Center-The New School, New York, New York, United States
- West Don Lands, Toronto, Ontario, Canada