UrbanPlan’s mission is to create a sophisticated level of discourse among local stakeholders involved in land use decisions through the education of tomorrow’s voters, neighbors, community leaders, public officials, and land use professionals so, together, we can create better communities.
What Is UrbanPlan?
UrbanPlan is a realistic, engaging exercise in which participants—high school students, university students, or public officials—learn about the fundamental forces that affect real estate development in our communities. Participants experience the challenging issues, private and public sector roles, complex trade-offs, and fundamental economics in play when proposing realistic land use solutions to vexing growth challenges.
UrbanPlan is facilitated by District and National Councils and is available in three formats:
Create engaged citizens
Develop professional skills
UrbanPlan has reached over 40,000 high school and university students since 2003 in the United States:
- 18 ULI District Councils and 2 satellites will run UrbanPlan programs this 2016-17 academic year
- More members (2,500+), including trustees, governors, and product council members, participate in UrbanPlan than in any other national or local ULI program
- UrbanPlan reached over 3,100 students and ran in 104 classrooms at 32 high schools in academic year 2015-16
- 12 universities ran UrbanPlan in graduate MBA, Real Estate, City & Regional Planning, and Architecture programs in academic year 2015-16
- In its first year, the public officials workshop engaged over 80 decision makers in 4 workshops
- 670 volunteers donated over 2,500 hours to the program in academic year 2015-16
- In the 2016-17 academic year, the program is growing to include Ireland and Germany
- 512 pupils participated in ULI United Kingdom’s inaugural year of UrbanPlan at 19 London-based schools and five additional schools across England and Scotland in academic year 2015-16 (learn more)
WHAT ULI MEMBERS SAY ABOUT URBANPLAN
Principal, EV8 Consulting
“UrbanPlan volunteer training goes deeper than any traditional real estate development class. The takeaway value transcends effective volunteering. The intellectual discipline and Socratic method of questioning are assets in my work life.”
Partner, Pacific Coast Capital
“Like Advisory Services panels, UrbanPlan does what ULI does best: help external audiences understand how market and nonmarket forces in their community affect what can be approved, financed, built, and sustainably tenanted. That insight is essential for any meaningful discussion about land use.”
Principal, Rafanelli & Nahas
“Our goal is to create a more sophisticated level of discourse among local stakeholders involved in land use decisions. The education of tomorrow’s voters, neighbors, community leaders, public officials, and land use professionals is mission critical for ULI.”
As a school or teacher, proactive public official, member volunteer, or student. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org