Finalist Entry Title: Eastern Link
Team code: 183748
School: Georgia Institute of Technology
Overview (Narrative excerpt from final submission)
Eastern Link is Toronto’s newest cultural connection. It’s a neighborhood fueled by Toronto’s economic engine and inspired by the independent spirit of surrounding communities. It is a vibrant cultural center and a local-serving mixed-use development.
Eastern Link unlocks major opportunities for coming together:
- Partnerships form links with Toronto’s arts, sustainability, and housing organizations—ensuring deep roots in the community and opportunities for all.
- A repositioned SmartTrack/GO station unlocks development opportunity east of the tracks and creates a bold transit hub for subway, rail and LRT.
- Adaptive reuse links past and future. Heritage buildings transform into cultural institutions and a pedestrian link forges across the Don River using historic bridge infrastructure.
With its emphasis on both culture and daily life, Eastern Link is a neighborhood that is iconic but also intimate. It’s new but also authentic. It’s a home for artists, newcomers, families—and it will welcome you, too.
- Clare Healy (Team Leader), Master of City and Regional Planning
- Mariam Alzaabi, Master of Urban Design
- Jonathan Franklin, Master of Architecture
- Zachary Lancaster, Master of City and Regional Planning
- Paul Steidl, Dual Degree Master of Architecture and Master of City and Regional Planning
- Ellen Dunham-Jones, Professor, School of Architecture
- Sabir Khan, Associate Professor, School of Architecture
Final Submission Materials
Original Submission Materials