ULI Net Zero Compendium
Developing a path to net zero carbon has become a priority for investors, tenants, cities, and the real estate industry. Through work across many facets of ULI – Mission Priorities, our Greenprint Center for Building Performance, District/National Councils, Advisory Services, ULI Learning, and beyond – we have developed a wide range of resources to help ULI members and the broader real estate and land use community better understand the business case for a path to net zero, and tools to help them operationalize it in their projects and portfolios.
What is net zero and why is it important?
Net-zero in the built environment describes a building portfolio that is highly energy efficient and fully powered by on- and off-site renewables and offsets. More on ULI’s definition of net zero and our net zero goal is available here.
ULI’s mission is to shape the future of the built environment for transformative impact in communities worldwide, and net zero is a crucial building block to help us achieve this. According to the AR6 Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis Report, achieving global net zero GHG emissions is a requirement for stabilizing CO2-induced global surface temperature warming. Real estate has a tremendous responsibility and opportunity in this realm to act and ensure a future where we are minimizing our environmental impacts and advancing pathways to mitigating climate change. There is also a clear and present business case opportunity for real estate to take leadership on decarbonization.
Ways to get involved
- Engage in the Net Zero Imperative by submitting a Statement of Interest to participate in the program or offering services as a subject matter expert on a Net Zero Imperative Technical Assistance Panel (TAP)
- Join ULI Greenprint if your firm owns or develops buildings
- Consider applying to join a Product Council related to sustainability: ULI Americas — SDC, RPIC, and RRC; ULI Europe — Sustainability Council; ULI Asia Pacific — Resilient Cities Council
- Take the Net Zero Real Estate: Renovating and Building for Profitability ULI Learning course
- Apply learnings from Case Studies, Research Reports, and Webinars
- Share Urban Land articles
- Apply for the ULI Low-carbon Development award
- Have a net zero project you would like to share with us to feature on the ULI Case Studies website? Share it with us through the submission box at the bottom of the page.
Learn more about ULI’s programs on net zero
Webinars & Videos
|Resource||Type of Content|
|Introduction to ESG in Real Estate||Live (Virtual)|
|Decarbonising the Built Environment: Making the Financial Case||Executive Series|
|Net Zero Real Estate: Renovating and Building for Profitability||On Demand|
Technical Assistance Panels (TAPs) and Advisory Services Panels (ASPs)
|Resource||Type of Content|
|ULI Austin NZI TAP||Technical Assistance Panel Report (2022)|
|ULI Beijing NZI TAP||Technical Assistance Panel Report (2022)|
|ULI Greater Bay Area NZI TAP||Technical Assistance Panel Report (2022)|
|ULI Kansas City NZI TAP||Technical Assistance Panel Report (2022)|
|ULI Los Angeles NZI TAP||Technical Assistance Panel Report (2022)|
|ULI Minnesota NZI TAP||Technical Assistance Panel Report (2022)|
|San José California: Building Electrification and Renewable Energy||ULI Advisory Services (2022)|