ULI Health Leaders Network
The ULI Health Leaders Network is empowering real estate and land use professionals with the skills, knowledge, and networks to improve health outcomes in their professional practice and communities. Participants gain valuable skills and connections that will help them advance their careers, as well as practical knowledge about the intersection between health, social equity, and the built environment.
The call for applications for Cohort 6 is now closed. Please stay tuned for future cohort information, which will be posted to this webpage at a later date.
Select each respective dropdown menu below to learn more about candidate eligibility, key dates for Cohort 6, and more.
About the ULI Health Leaders Network
The ULI Health Leaders Network facilitates creative collaborations within the fields of public health, planning and design, and development, and beyond, and empowers participants with actionable knowledge on development and design strategies that improve health, well-being, and social equity.
Participants in the Health Leaders Network are expected to attend three forums (two of which will be in-person), which will focus on leadership development and network building. Health Leaders will also participate in monthly interactive podcasts and expert Q&A sessions exploring topics related to health and land use and interact with others in their cohort through cohort meetings and peer reviews of individual assignments.
ULI is grateful to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and ULI Trustee Randall Lewis for their support of this program.
Program Benefits and Goals
- Education: Undergraduate or higher degree.
- Work Experience and Background: ULI Health Leaders are a diverse group of emerging and established leaders, from a range of career stages and disciplines, including real estate development, public leadership, urban planning and design, architecture and design, infrastructure, law, healthcare, finance, and public health. It is recommended that applicants have at least five to seven years of professional experience.
- Location: Applications are open to all regions of the globe, including ULI Europe and ULI Asia Pacific. All participants are required to attend live programming (refer to the schedule below for specific times and time zones), including the in-person forums in Washington, D.C. and Berlin, Germany.
- Language: All program content and communications will be in English.
- Commitment: Participants must commit to attend the monthly webinars, complete individual assignments, and attend the three forums. If accepted to this program, you are pledging in good faith to be fully engaged and involved. Please be sure that you have approval from your organization or supervisor to participate in this program.
- Interest in Health and Social Equity: Ideal candidates will have a demonstrated interest in and commitment to improving health and social equity through their professional work.
- COVID-19: All Health Leader Network participants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, per FSA and WHO guidelines. A full list of accepted COVID-19 vaccines can be found here.
- Both ULI members and non-members are eligible to apply to the Health Leaders Network. Non-ULI members will be expected to become Associate Members for the duration of the program. There will be a small number of scholarships available. If the membership fees and/or travel are hardships, please indicate this within your application. It is the policy of ULI to provide equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age, or disability.
- Membership: Participants are required to maintain or obtain an associate membership (at a minimum) for the duration of the program.
- Travel: All participants are required to attend the in-person forums in Washington, D.C. and Berlin, Germany and are responsible for all travel costs.
- Additional Fees: There are no additional fees to participate in Health Leaders Network.
- Available Scholarships: ULI has a small number of scholarships we will distribute on a case-by-case basis. If membership and/or travel costs are prohibitive, please indicate this in your application. Membership scholarships will be covered in full, and travel scholarships will be up to $1,000 per in-person meeting.
Cohort 6 Timeline, Key Dates, and Programming
Cohort 6 of the Health Leaders Network runs from March to November 2023.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION TIMELINE
|December 5, 2022||Cohort 6 Health Leaders Network applications open|
|Monday, January 9, 2023||Applications due by 11:59 p.m. ET|
|January 30-February 10, 2023||Cohort 6 candidate interviews|
|By Friday, February 17, 2023||Health Leaders Cohort 6 participants notified of selection|
|Early March 2023||Program orientation calls with small groups of Health Leaders|
|March 14, 2023||Official kickoff call of Cohort 6 Health Leaders Network|
KEY PROGRAM DATES
|March 29-31, 2023||Cohort 6 Intro Forum (Location: Washington, DC)|
|July 18, 2023||Virtual Cohort 6 Mid-Year Forum|
|September 19-22, 2023||Cohort 6 Fall Forum (Location: Berlin, Germany)|
|November 21, 2023||Virtual Cohort 6 Closing Convening|
Health Leaders will be required to participate in two monthly/bi-monthly webinars.
The first Tuesday of the month (2023 Dates: April 4, May 2, June 6, August 1, September 5, and November 7) from 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. ET is reserved for cohort-based communications (in full and small groups)
The third Tuesday of every other month (2023 Dates: April 18, June 20, August 15, October 17) from 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. ET is reserved for podcast Q&As with real estate experts focused on health, social equity, and built environment.
2023 topics and speakers TBD. Past topics have included:
|Anti-Displacement and Gentrification||Neighborhood Foodscape Strategies|
|Health and Housing||Noise Exposure, Health, and the Built Environment|
|Health, Resiliency, and Climate Change||Parks and Public Space: The Impact on Health and Equity in our Communities|
|Impact of Identity & Culture on Health and Social Ties in the Built Environment||Partnerships for Health Equity & Opportunity|
|Leveraging Healthcare Institutions to Strengthen Communities and Combat Social Inequities||Zoning and Health|
Optional Quarterly Healthy Coffee Hour Webinars:
Health Leaders will be invited to join their cohort and alumni in quarterly virtual coffee hours. Dates for 2023 quarterly Health Leaders Healthy Coffee Hour webinars: April 25, July 11, September 12, and November 14 from 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. ET.