The ULI Global Awards for Excellence program is a timely reminder of the key difference that responsible land use can make in terms of community longevity and sustainability.
Submissions are open to all, not just ULI members.
Click here to access the application Instructions.
Click here to access a Blank Submission Form.
You cannot submit the blank form. Please follow the instructions on the upper right hand corner of this page for accessing OrgSync and completing the submission form online.
About the Global Awards for Excellence
A guiding principle of the Urban Land Institute is that the achievement of excellence in land use practice should be recognized and rewarded. ULI began the Awards for Excellence program in 1979 to recognize truly superior development efforts in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors. Winning projects represent the highest standards of achievement in the development industry—standards that ULI members deem worthy of attainment in their professional endeavors. Today the development community widely recognizes the ULI Global Awards for Excellence program as one of its most prestigious awards programs.
A jury of ULI full members chooses finalists and winners. Members of the jury are recognized leaders who represent a broad geographic diversity and many areas of real estate development expertise, including finance, architecture, design, land planning and development, public affairs, design, and professional services.
ULI Global Awards for Excellence recognize the full development process of a project, not just its architecture or design—although these elements play an important role.
The jury will evaluate projects and programs on the extent to which they:
- achieve marketplace acceptance/financial success;
- achieve a high standard of excellence in all areas—architecture, design, planning, construction, amenities, economics, and management, etc.;
- demonstrate relevance to the contemporary and future needs of the community in which they are located;
- have a positive impact in their communities and/or immediate context;
- exhibit environmental sustainability, stewardship, and resiliency; and
- provide models, lessons, strategies, or techniques that other communities can replicate or adapt.
An entry fee must accompany each submission. Fees for the 2019 ULI Global Awards for Excellence are:
- Public Sector/NGO US $200.00
- Private Sector US $600.00
Please note that these fees apply to the company or organization submitting the application, not the type of project. For instance, a private sector company submitting a public sector project pays the private sector fee.
The Global Awards for Excellence have recognized a wide variety of product types, including office, residential, recreational, urban/mixed use, industrial/office park, commercial/retail, new community, rehabilitation, public, and heritage projects, as well as programs and projects that do not fit into any of these product categories.
Since 2012, the ULI Global Awards for Excellence have honored development projects from around the globe in a single competition, rather than separate winners by region. ULI regions and District Councils also may host regional or local Awards for Excellence in some parts of the world. Projects or programs that enter these regional or local awards may also enter the Global Awards for Excellence. Projects do not need to first enter regional or local awards in order to enter the Global Awards for Excellence. The applications for these award opportunities are distinct.
Each winner receives a jewel-quality cube trophy, engraved with the jury’s official statement about the winning project. Further recognition of winners and finalists includes case studies in ULI publications, as well as press releases and announcements in Urban Land magazine and on ULI’s website.
2017–2018 Global Awards for Excellence Winners
Thirteen real estate development projects from around the globe—eight from the United States, two from Canada, one in Europe, and two from Asia—have been selected as winners in the 2017–2018 ULI Global Awards for Excellence:
- Azkuna Zentroa, Bilbao, Bizkaia, Basque Country, Spain
- Buffalo Bayou Park, Houston, Texas, United States
- Chicago Riverwalk, Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Downtown Allentown Revitalization District, Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
- Emeryville Center of Community Life, Emeryville, California, United States
- Half Moon Village, Half Moon Bay, California, United States
- Kashiwa-no-ha Smart City, Kashiwa City, Chiba Prefecture, Japan
- Marine Gateway, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Milwaukee RiverWalk, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
- Oasia Hotel Downtown, Singapore, Singapore
- Pearl, San Antonio, Texas, United States
- University Center-The New School, New York, New York, United States
- West Don Lands, Toronto, Ontario, Canada