As one of the buzzwords in today’s real estate and land use conversations, gentrification can often be a contested or triggering term.
- Is it detrimental to a city?
- Are there elements of the concept of gentrification that can be used for social good?
- Can there be gentrification without displacement?
- How can we factor social equity into projects from the very beginning?
- Is there a role for the real estate community to work with local governments to empower local residents?
- How are social issues impacting the built environment – what is the direction of causation?
- Can the built environment be used to mitigate social inequalities?
- What is causing gentrification and are there ways to avoid it while still pursuing redevelopment/reuse goals?