ULI NEXT is a leadership initiative for members 35 to 45 who have had a leadership role within ULI. It is a distinct membership group, where mid-career leaders can engage in discussions of topics that affect their businesses, help them develop professionally, and support a deeper understanding of the community in which they live.
NEXT supports the ULI mission by connecting, inspiring, and leading the next generation of leaders in the built environment and ULI globally. NEXT at the local level targets programming and leadership opportunities to all members in this age cohort in an effort to keep them connected after they age out of the Young Leaders Group (YLG).
AMERICAS NEXT LEADERSHIP STEERING COMMITTEE
Following the framework set by the Americas NEXT Strategic Plan, the aim for the Leadership Steering Committee (LSC) will be to integrate the NEXT networks and programming from each Local District Council with the Americas level and to connect NEXT members with the other ULI networks and centers across the organization to create more open, transparent, and connected systems. Members of the Americas NEXT Leadership Steering Committee are Full Members ranging from 35-45 years old who have held distinguished leadership roles within ULI.
As an example, many of the members of ULI NEXT are also members of Product Councils. This offers mutually beneficial opportunities for collaboration between members of NEXT and Product Councils, and sharing of knowledge. The committed and recurring gatherings (in person or virtual) of the NEXT group across the Americas develop more meaningful connections as a result and a strong Americas NEXT platform.
After “graduating” from the Young Leaders Group, this group of midcareer professionals often gets lost in the organization in a middle ground between young leaders and senior leaders. ULI NEXT’s mission is to offer a platform for networking and knowledge sharing, all in an effort to help participants develop their leadership skills and succeed in the next stage of their careers. Since joining, numerous ULI NEXT members at the Americas level have become ULI Trustees, District Council Chairs, Board members, and global committee members. Twenty-three Local District Councils have active ULI NEXT groups.
VISION & VALUES
- Broaden Reach: Create a framework to extend reach across regions, into District Councils, and throughout leadership channels with an aim to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion within ULI.
- Create More Opportunities to Engage: Launch a multi-tiered engagement platform creating more opportunities to engage via NEXT Americas’ affinity group circles, NEXT Americas’ Peer Leadership Council, and NEXT Americas’ Leadership Steering Committee.
- Facilitate Peer Connectivity: Across the NEXT age demographic, across affinity groups, and across leadership tracks, allowing members to leverage the right relationships at the right time to enhance their professional advancement and ultimately provide for both personal and professional enrichment.
- Establish an Aspirational Path for YLG Graduates: Play more of a role in creating an aspirational path for ULI YLG members and in creating more opportunities for mentoring between NEXT and YLG.
- Create Unique Content and Programs: Of relevance to the age 35 to 45 NEXT demographic. Programming themes include transformation, entrepreneurship, disruption, and connectivity.
- Provide an Avenue for Philanthropy: Through ULI internal networks and initiatives, and identify and partner with value-aligned external partners or organizations that help advance ULI’s mission. NEXT aspires to leverage the expertise of its membership base to assist in ULI technical assistance panels (TAPs), where we can drive positive, impactful outcomes for underserved communities.
MEET THE LEADERS
ULI Annual Fund
Supporting the ULI NEXT Americas through annual giving is one of the most powerful ways you can make an impact. Unrestricted contributions to the ULI Annual Fund ensure that NEXT has the resources to acknowledge opportunities and address unforeseen challenges with the expediency that would otherwise not be possible.
Donors can choose to designate their contribution specifically to the NEXT program, ensuring that their gift is personally meaningful, or make an unrestricted donation with the assurance that it will be applied to meet ULI’s greatest needs.
Interested in getting more involved at the Americas?
ULI is expanding the governance structure for the NEXT network offering an opportunity to be part of our Leadership Steering Committee and/or to chair content sub-committees to help further this goal. To apply for an Americas NEXT Leadership Steering Committee position you must be a Full Member ranging from 35-45 who has had a leadership role within ULI. If you want to be involved, please fill out the application form.