Connections Unbound: The Urban Land Institute’s Latest Annual Report Showcases the Impact of Members in Leading the Future of Global Urban Development
December 21, 2017
For more information, contact Trish Riggs, 202-624-7086; [email protected]
WASHINGTON (December 21, 2017) – The successful efforts of the Urban Land Institute’s 40,000-plus members to lead the future of global urban development through the creation of vibrant, sustainable communities are documented in the Institute’s latest annual report, which showcases member impact during fiscal year 2017 (July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017).
The report illustrates ULI’s evolution into a member-centric organization that is committed to fully leveraging the expertise of its members to reinforce ULI’s brand as the world’s most influential authority on responsible land use and community building. The organization’s substantial reach is reflected in numerous achievements, including the launch of several tools to improve member engagement and enhance the member experience, as well as myriad results-oriented activities that demonstrate leadership in each of the regions in which the organization has a presence – the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific. ULI’s accomplishments in FY 2017 include:
- An increase in global membership to more than 40,000 – the highest level achieved since the Great Recession, with membership increases in all regions;
- More than 1,900 events in the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific that reinforced ULI’s position as a global authority on land use and real estate, including major global and regional meetings collectively drawing more than 13,000 members;
- A new program to recognize and leverage the substantial expertise of ULI’s most senior leaders by providing more opportunities to engage with the institute
- The introduction of member-facing technology – Navigator, which matches member interests to volunteer opportunities; and a revamped Member Directory, which includes options for personalization and will strengthen member-to-member connections;
- Steady growth of ULI’s Advisory Services Program, which in FY 2017 provided urban development recommendations on a broad variety of issues, from increasing affordable housing in Collier County, Florida to rethinking future development in Hong Kong;
- The expansion in Europe of UrbanPlan — ULI’s high school and undergraduate planning and design course – to Germany, Poland and Ireland, following its highly successful launch in the UK;
- Research from the Terwilliger Center for Housing on the impact of immigration on U.S. housing markets, and well as the evolution of America’s suburbs to meet the needs and preferences of people from different generations and income groups;
- And, the launch of the Tenant Energy Optimization Program, which helps commercial building tenants reduce energy consumption and energy costs.
The report also features a new series of video dialogues that brings together five ULI global leaders with other established and emerging ULI leaders for intimate, candid conversations related to their involvement with ULI. ULI Global Chairman Thomas W. Toomey, ULI Americas Chairman Trish Healy, ULI Asia Pacific Chairman Dr. N.H. Seek, ULI Europe Chairman Jon H. Zehner, and Immediate Past ULI Global Chairman Randall K. Rowe are among the leaders discussing a wide range of issues, including the influence of ULI on their own career paths.
“Our annual report is a testament to the positive impact – on both ULI and our communities — that results from stronger member participation and leadership,” said ULI’s Global Chief Executive Officer Patrick L. Phillips. “FY 2017 marked the start of a new era of self-improvement and growth that will help ULI continue to attract the best and brightest for generations to come. We will continue this progress by always bearing in mind that ULI is its members.”
The report website is easy to navigate: The Leaders section contains the video dialogues; the Stories section shows how ULI fosters connections, champions innovation, and delivers impact; the Numbers section shows ULI’s progress through key data points; and the Supporters section recognizes the individuals and organizations who provide resources to advance ULI’s mission globally.
About the Urban Land Institute
The Urban Land Institute is a nonprofit education and research institute supported by its members. Its mission is to provide leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide. Established in 1936, the institute has more than 40,000 members worldwide representing all aspects of land use and development disciplines. For more information, please visit uli.org or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram.