The Urban Land Institute (ULI), the oldest and largest network of cross-disciplinary real estate and land use experts in the world, is looking for a seasoned Director of Social Media to bring its mission—shaping the future of the industry and creating thriving communities worldwide—to life across social media. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Digital Marketing and Branding, the Director, Social Media is responsible for developing and executing social media communications strategy as a central channel for global brand awareness and engagement. This position plays an important role in managing the branded social media for the organization’s primary channels and offers consultation, training, and support for three regional offices and more than 70 local chapters (called district councils and national councils) across the Americas, Europe, and the Asia Pacific region.
The Director, Social Media serves as the social media service provider in relationships with nonmembers, online influencers, members of the media, community leaders, sponsors, corporate partners, and members. The Director, Social Media maximizes branded social media channels to positively shape the ULI member experience and serves as a lead collaborator with internal stakeholders—including sponsorship, membership, event registration, content, and senior leaders—to build ongoing relationships, develop new creative ideas, and align activities with the Institute’s global strategic direction.
The position is full-time, exempt, and located in Washington, D.C.
- Collaborate with team members in the Americas, Europe, and Asia Pacific to manage and optimize ongoing social media content for the Institute’s primary social media feeds (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram) in coordination with other marketing, communications, and branding efforts—work that most often includes directly creating, posting/scheduling, and tracking organic social media content.
- Supervise the global enterprise social media management software system—Hootsuite—and manage staff user training sessions for a distributed network of 50 to 100 users.
- Manage all organic and paid social media advertising.
- Review, maintain, and expand global social media policies and best practices.
- Secure and manage on-site social media agency and photo teams (and/or internal staff in some cases) at annual conferences in Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Americas in an on-site or remote capacity, depending on specific event needs.
- Work with corporate partners and sponsors (alongside internal teams responsible for managing those relationships) on brand and content promotional campaigns, especially around ULI’s major conferences.
- Manage ULI’s Google AdWord advertising.
- Manage the video production and operation for marquee video products (two to four, annually, but subject to change based on strategic need) and limited video capture at annual conferences.
- Provide social media and video consultation for internal units and senior staff.
- Provide ongoing social media analytics, including for executive quarterly metrics reports and additional specialized reporting on major events or other social media investments.
- Manage related budgets and participate in annual budget review processes.
- Seven-plus years of relevant communications experience, with a proven track record of social media production and management, strategy and execution, and metrics analysis and reporting.
- Certification or a track record of experience with the Hootsuite social media management system or a similar system and paid digital media platforms, including Facebook Business Manager, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Google AdWords.
- Experience planning and managing senior-level account relationships, ideally in a business development, consulting, or agency setting (including “in-house” agency environments).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs.
- A proven track record in applying new and emerging technologies and trends to a brand’s social communications strategy.
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in a field related to marketing, strategic communications, advertising, or other subjects that require a combination of writing and messaging, project management, visual design, and analytical skills. An advanced degree in strategic communications, marketing, advertising, or business administration a plus.
- Experience working with a membership association, agency experience, and B2B client experience are all a plus.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Comfort with juggling multiple projects and priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills—including experience in managing multiple and divergent stakeholders.
- Ability to articulate thoughts and ideas when writing, speaking, or presenting.
- Availability to travel to major domestic conferences (minimum two per year) and additional events hosted by ULI.
To apply, please click on the link below. A résumé and cover letter are required with your application.
EOE/m/f/d/v. No relocation reimbursement is offered at this time.