POSITION SUMMARY: ULI is seeking an Associate to support a new program to promote more equitable access to parks, open space, and nature, and investment in park enhancing and supporting infrastructure. The Associate will provide support for a new effort, undertaken in partnership with other organizations, to promote the bold idea that all urban dwellers should have access to a high quality park within a ten minute walk of their home, organized via the “10 Minute Walk Campaign,” as well as related efforts.
In this newly created position, the Associate will support the activities of the Senior Director, implementing the communications strategy tasks, assisting with operations, coordinating convenings, and related activities. The Associate will also serve as the core research resource for the program, spearheading the development of a park assessment toolbox, writing two major reports, and undertaking other communications.
The goal of this program of work, which is being managed by the Building Healthy Places Initiative (online at www.uli.org/health, and part of the ULI Center for Sustainability and Economic Performance), is to contribute to the creation of healthy and sustainable communities and to reduce built environment barriers to healthy behaviors and activities, so that all people have the chance to live their best lives possible. Our work will catalyze the power of ULI’s members, networks, and partnerships around a vision of a green, sustainable, connected and resilient future for all people. This work program is supported by a grant from an external foundation.
A core part of this work will be to help advance understanding of and action on park, infrastructure investment, and resilience strategies that reduce threats of displacement, enhance neighborhood stabilization, and provide benefits to low income communities.
ULI’s work program under the Campaign has three main elements: 1) promote equitable access to high quality parks and open space by successfully conducting the 10 Minute Walk Campaign; 2) promote investment in infrastructure networks and systems (such as trails and bikeways) that support parks and equitable mobility; and 3) promote resilient land use and development patterns that reduce environmental vulnerabilities and leverage parks and open spaces to make communities stronger, more sustainable, and more equitable. The Associate will be engaged with advancing the first and second elements, and will work closely with team members with responsibility for the third.
This position will report to a Senior Director. It is a full time exempt position and will be based out of Washington, D.C.
This position will undertake the following activities:
- Support the Senior Director’s efforts to liaise with ULI’s partners on 10 Minute Walk Campaign, to ensure careful, strategic, and well-coordinated implementation.
- Support internal coordination with ULI staff, member leaders, and members.
- Support implementation of advisory activities, convenings, and District Council engagement.
- Help promote the Campaign with ULI members, networks, and partners, effectively leveraging ULI and partner communication tools and resources.
- Serve as core research resource, spearheading the development of a park assessment toolbox, writing/crafting two major reports, and other communications.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, real estate or a related field.
- 3 – 5 years of directly related experience.
- Background and experience in assisting with a related (day to day operations or community outreach liaison) for a city park or conservancy department position desired.
- Demonstrated professional knowledge of, commitment to and interest in issues related to health, urban affairs, parks and open space and infrastructure.
- Strong writing and analytical skills; high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and organization.
- Ability to prioritize workload and complete multiple tasks and high volume of work.
- Comfortable in a collaborative team environment.
- High level of individual initiative.
- Ability to work effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals.
- Strong project management and research capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communications skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
Expand HR Consulting, www.expandhr.com, has been retained to assist ULI with this search. To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume to Sharon Ossi, Human Resources Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Associate, Center for Sustainability and Economic Performance.”